How good are hospitals in Indonesia ?

KateW's picture
By KateW - Posted on

I am busy planning a move to Jakarta with my husband and two children. I need some advice on healthcare facillities in Indonesia. How good are the hospitals ? I am guessing we will need to pay for private healthcare and I know there will be an allowance for this in my husband's work contract. Can anyone give me any advice on the best medical insurance providers and which hospitals to use ?

I am a bit concerned as I've heard that the standard of English in Indonesia is not very good. Are there any hospitals where they have an expat doctor on call ?

Any personal insights would be great. 

Thanks.
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago

Hi Kate,

Public healthcare in Indonesia is limited and that is why most expats will go for private healthcare. 

In many public hospitals you might have some trouble communicating with the medical staff, as the standard of English is not brilliant.

I would recommend you choose to go with International SOS or Global Doctor. Both companies have 24 hour emergency and routine medical car facillities. There are branches in Jakarta and all major urban hubs in Indonesia.International SOS has an expat doctor on call and Global Doctor can arrange tele-appointments with a medical practicioner in Australia.

Finally, when it comes to health insurance - it is important to make sure that the insurance policy taken out by you husban's company is fully comprehensive and includes the cost of medical treatment in Singapore (as many expats and wealthy Indonesians end up travelling to Singapore in the most serious cases.).

Allianz are a well known international health insurance, so you could take a look at their policies.

Also, take a look at the Expat Arrival's page on Healthcare in Indonesia for more details on healthcare, insurance and recommended hospitals in Jakarta.

asmartrock's picture

I agree with Shantalie. SOS | Global Doctors provide a pretty good early-assessment and some medical maintenance for healthcare issues. There are several hospitals, namely: Pondok Indah Hospital, Pantai Indah Kapuk Hospital, RS Bunda Group, Medistra Hospital that can handle basic medical services, but it's quite a challenge finding several specialists.

I've spent about 7 years in the healthcare industry and have assisted several groups in expanding their services and although much improvements have happened, it's still a continuing process.

Lemme know should you have any specific requirement.

Read more posts about Indonesia