Internet quality and speed at hotels in Brazil fast enough to use skype calls?

Tom micro's picture
By Tom micro - Posted on
03 January 2012
I can work anywhere in the world - but only if the internet quality is good enough to talk via skype. I would like to visit Forteleza - i was considering the Quality Hotel - it has internet access advertised, i would need to work during US office hours via the internet using Skype and email. I need to be on a timeline that allows me to work Chigaco EST hours. I depend on the Internet for business so its a critical requirement for me. A survey suggested Brazils internet was 35th ranked in the world due to heavy usage of an infrastructure that needs to grow. So i need to find out if a stay in Brazil is a bad idea or not - anyone with information about internet access in Brazil please do post.
Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
Hi Tom-

I would suggest emailing the hotel directly and asking what wireless service provider they use, and what broadband speed they use - this will be a good indication of service provision. As the capital of the northeastern state, they should at least have access to medium speed (512kbps), which should be good enough to use Skype in Brazil. Furthermore, reading some reviews posted on Trip Advisor, there's been a lot of people that said the hotel was comfortable and convenient, and satisfied all the needs they had from a simple business standpoint. A few people even commented that the Internet was fast. 

Anonymous

Tom, having looked at some local blogs on the quality Inn in fortaleza you should have no problem using skype, the hotel is a conference centre and high speed internet in every room.
Generally the internet in this type of hotel in Brazil is very good, and normally has hard wire wide band as well as Wi-Fi

Anonymous

As someone who also requires high speed internet to use a video platform, I can tell you that internet speeds outside of the largest and best equipped cities (Rio and Sao Paulo, I imagine) is sub par. My company requires a minimum of 1 Mbps download and upload speeds. I am albe to get 1 Mbps download speed, but have gone through multiple providers, cable and wire replacements, the works to try to get an upload speed of at least 1, and have been unsuccessful so far. It is frustrating to say the least.

Read more posts about Brazil