Safety in São Paulo?

cornwall's picture
By cornwall - Posted on
14 April 2011
Do expats feel safe in São Paulo?!  I've been reading horror stories in my guidebook! 
DavidC's picture

Hi there.

Yes, yes, São Paulo is famous for being dangerous: guidebooks and locals alike will warn time and again.

However, it IS a megalopolis and as such, I think safety simply requires a bit of street smarts and common sense. I know where I’m headed beforehand and walk with purpose, I watch my belongings and surroundings, and I don’t wear flashy clothes or accessories (I try not to leave the house with anything I can’t afford to lose!).

I don’t own a car which not only saves me from hassle but, I believe, makes me less of a target.

An interesting observation, though: in Brazil I am more cognizant of avoiding robberies, whereas in Chicago -- where I went to school -- I was more alert to the dangers of rape. Don't know if any other expats feel the same, but for some reason, I feel like crime in São Paulo will always be directed at my possessions, and not my person.

Anonymous

please i need the address of the hsbc bank and the name of the agent to recieve my fund here in sao paulo, brasil,..

Anonymous

Sao Paulo has the lowest crime rate among the capital cities of Brazil. And most crime here is directed towards theft and robberies, not at attacking the person.

Read more posts about Brazil