Jobs in Turkey

Stephanie Katz's picture
By Stephanie Katz - Posted on
15 April 2011
Moving with husband to Istanbul later this year and wondering if I can find a job and work even though I won't have a formal work permit. I'm a writer and blogger and have read that those English speaking expats that can't find jobs in Turkey manage to do just fine by translating things, editing and doing online writing - can anybody confirm or deny?
Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
Technically freelancing as a foreigner without a work permit in Turkey is illiegal, but realistically it's a great way to make a living in your pajamas. You can be an online writer from the edges of Timbuktu to the steppes of Sibera, as long as you have a reliable Internet connection - so go ahead and set up shop in Istanbul. You don't need a formal TEFL degree to Teach English in most institutions in Turkey, so you can also apply and see if someone will take you without a permit or even sponsor you. The income isn't much, but if you're not concerned about that - go for it. Otherwise, here's a few sites where the occassional ad may be listed:

* Yeni Bir Iş
    * Kariyer
    * Turkey Job Link
    * Craigslist Istanbul
    * Job Central
Anonymous

I am an American expat presently working and living in Izmir. I would like to just find a job wıth a private Western or American company with just a private venture where I can work as long as I am fit and able. I have worked overseas ever since 1983, in Turkey, Kuwait, Baghdad and Oman wıth Defense Contractors. Are there any firms that help you locate suitable employers in the Izmır locale? Thanks. I would like to get away from the Defense side of things.

Larry Lillibridge
larryremziye@yahoo.com

Anonymous

We are looking for native speaking English teachers for our language school that will be running within the Horizon International College located in Etiler. This is a brand new school offering the Cambridge IGCSE and A Levels. Beside the high school programmes the school also works as a language school offering many programmes for different needs.

About the job:
Candidate should have experience in teaching and should be capable of teaching general english, exam preparation for IELTS and TOEFL. Having a Tesol certificate is preferred. The successful candidate should be able to work for flexible hours and start as soon as possible.

To apply for the job please send your CV to Emilia Battye on emiliabattye@horizon.edu.net

Anonymous

im an ex pat living in didim and would love to work , im a specialist construction manager with many years experience in practical design and construction

tony

Anonymous

Hi I am an Indian residing in tourist visa, want a job in Hotel or restaurent as I do have diploma in Hospitality and Tourism from Singapore. And having proper experience in Front office and food and breverages. Please inform me for any job available in Hospitality in Istanbul, Turkey in my mail ID on -- cheema_trt@yahoo.in, URGENT.

Read more posts about Turkey