Visa for moving to Austria as an Australian?

Bekiit1's picture
By Bekiit1 - Posted on
07 November 2016

I am hoping someone can assist me as I'm hoping to live and work in Austria with my boyfriend whom is Austrian.
I am a physiotherapist with a masters degree from Australia and 4 years professional experience.
I'm finding it a little difficult what visa I could apply for . I am in the process of learning German but am not yet fluent.
If anyone can offer some advice that would be great
Bec

Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago

Hey Bec,

Your best option would probably be to find employment so that you can get a work permit and residence permit. (I've added the relevant links so you can click on those terms for more info.)

Another option is studying in Austria which would also allow you to apply for a residence permit, but since you already have a Masters and have been working for quite some time, I don't know if this would be something that would appeal to you.

Unfortunately, as far as I can make out, in order to be eligible for a spouse visa you'd need to be married. I'm actually in a similar position myself, as my boyfriend of 3 years lives in the UK and it's really difficult to get work there as a foreigner, much less find a company that's willing to go through the whole visa and work permit rigmarole. I really hope this isn't the case in Austria so that you can find a job and move there to be with your boyfriend. I've no idea what the situation is like over there with employing foreigners so fingers crossed that you find something easily. The fact that you're highly qualified with work experience should definitely work in your favour.

Wishing you all the best!

Read more posts about Austria