Posted by
on 19 Aug 2011
Hi, I'm a South African looking to visit an American expat friend I have who's living in Switzerland, and I was wondering if I need to get any type of tourist visa. My American friend said all she needed was a passport valid for 6 months from the date of travel the first time she visited.
Stephanie on 19 Aug 2011
As a South African travelling to Switzerland you'll need to obtain a Schengen Visa prior to departure. Americans do not need a visa, as they're subject to a different set of rules.

You can request a visa application at no charge from your local Swiss Consulate/Embassy. Simply complete this document and make an appointment to submit, along with your passport, proof of solvency (bank accounts saying you have sufficient funds), and a receipt proving you paid the appropriate visa fee.

In some cases you'll need to provide documents that prove the purpose of your trip. Good luck!