Expats and foreigners visiting Belgium may require visas for Belgium before entering the country. As Belgium is part of the Schengen visa area, travellers who don't have an EU passport or one from a list of visa-exempt countries will be required to apply for a Schengen visa before arrival.

Visas for Belgium

Those who apply for a visa for Belgium will need to gather the required documents, complete a visa application form, and submit these to the Belgian consulate or embassy in their home country before they travel. Processing time can vary, so applicants should be sure to submit their application well before their intended departure date.

In some cases, applicants may be asked to provide additional documents at the discretion of the Belgian embassy or consulate. It's common for an applicant to be asked for proof of employment and residence in their home country to indicate that they will return home after their trip.

Expats wanting to travel to Belgium for business purposes will likely have to include a letter of invitation from the Belgian business party hosting them and a letter from their local employer stating their duties in Belgium. Those attending a conference will often need proof of registration and accommodation.

Type C Schengen visas

The Type C Schengen visa allows travellers to stay in the Schengen area, which includes 26 European countries, for a maximum of 90 days within a 180-day period for tourism, family visits or business purposes. It is essential for expats to check the specific visa requirements for their country of citizenship before making any travel plans, as these requirements can change over time.

Type D long-stay visas

Type D visas are issued for stays longer than 90 days, regardless of whether the holder plans to live in Belgium for a fixed period or settle there permanently. Expats will need a long-stay visa if they're moving to Belgium to study, work, visit family for a longer period or immigrate to Belgium permanently.

For more information, visit the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

Residence permits for Belgium

Depending on their nationality, expats wanting to stay in Belgium for longer than 90 days may require a temporary or permanent residence permit.

For non-EU expats, there are several types of residence permits, each with specific requirements and validity periods. Initially, a temporary residence permit, such as an A or B card, may be granted, which allows for a limited-duration stay in Belgium for purposes, including work, study or family reunion. After meeting specific criteria and residing in Belgium for a certain period, foreigners may become eligible to apply for a more permanent residence permit, such as a C card (identity card for foreigners) or a D card (long-term resident status).

Anyone intending to stay in Belgium is required to report their presence in the country to their local commune. Having done so, they will receive a notification of arrival for short stays and a registration certificate for long stays.

For stays of less than three months, EU citizens must do this within 10 working days of arrival and non-EU citizens within three working days of arrival. For longer stays of more than three months, EU citizens must register their stay at any point in the first three months, while non-EU citizens have eight working days to do so.

Non-EU expats moving to the country for employment will likely also need a work permit for Belgium.

Useful links

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice, and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global (10% off family health plans in June)

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!