What's the cost of living in Indonesia like?

KateW's picture
By KateW - Posted on
My husband has been offered a job in Jakarta. I'm a bit reluctant to go, as I've never lived in Asia and the culture is so different to what I'm used to. One thing that might be a positive is that his salary offered seems pretty good and I've heard that Indonesia is pretty cheap so we'll be able to save quite a bit of money. Is this true? Anyone got any insights into what things cost in Indonesia?
Catherine's picture
Last seen: 2 days 12 hours ago

South Africa

South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hey Kate, you've heard right, the cost of living in Indonesia is generally quite low - although this does of course depend on where you're coming form and what you're used to in terms of your own lifestyle. We've recently added a guide to the cost of living in Indonesia, which gives a break down of what you can expect to pay in the country, so be sure to check it out here.

Also, in terms of the culture, be sure to read our article written by an expat living in Jakarta about her experiences of Culture Shock in Indonesia.

Good luck with your move! If anything, I'm sure it will be a great adventure!
Your rating: None Average: 4.7 (3 votes)
Anonymous

Living in Indonesia can be expensive IF you want to purchase imported grocery items or alcohol. There are quite a few local alternatives for things and you will gradually move to buy them as opposed to more expensive imports unless you are prepared for a big grocery bill. But unless you are prepared to go completely native you will find it expensive. A box of cereal can cost Rp.150,000 + over £10. Meat is expensive even brought in on the hoof and slaughtered here. A 20kg sack of rice now costs Rp.200,000+ Clothing for the larger physiques will set you back as you will find yourself shopping at foreign brand stores and paying triple what you would in your home country.

Your rating: None Average: 3.5 (4 votes)

Read more posts about Indonesia