Expert Info

Posted by terrall22
on 23 Sep 2018

I will be moving to Taiwan in 1 month, as a trailing spouse (my wife is doing an expat assignment).  My company is interested in having me work remotely from Taiwan while I am there, and I'm trying to understand how to go about the work permit for my specific situation.  It's a bit different, as I'll be living there either way, and I'm not taking a Taiwan-based job.  Seems like it should be a no-brainer for Taiwan... I'm living there anyways, and this way I pay taxes without taking a local job.  But I'm at a loss of how to proceed.  Anybody on here have knowledge/expertise that would be helpful here?

Daniela de Castro on 26 Sep 2018

Hi there

Have a look at our guide to work permits for Taiwan for an overview of the different regulations which could apply to you. You would probably also benefit from contacting your local Taiwanese embassy directly, as they're likely to have the most up to date information. The website for Taiwan's Ministry of Labor's Workforce Development Agency ( could be useful as well. 

Where will you be moving from?  Are you planning to eventually apply for permanent residency in Taiwan?

- Daniela

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Aetna Global

Aetna is an award-winning insurance business that provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. Their high quality health insurance plans are tailored to meet the individual needs of expats living and working abroad.

Get a quote from Aetna International

Bupa Global

Bupa Global's international private medical insurance offers expats direct access to some of the very best doctors and hospitals in the world. Bupa is chosen by individuals who value expertise, freedom and quality. You can choose to see your preferred doctor close to home or a specialist in another country. Their health insurance plans are designed for day-to-day healthcare needs too.

Get a quote from Bupa Global