Expats looking to live and work in Australia will need a visa. Australia has a large number of visa categories, and requirements vary widely, but the government makes it easy to understand the visa application process, providing comprehensive information on how to apply for each specific class of visa, the associated costs, where to apply and more.

That said, the application process doesn’t guarantee entrance into the country and can take a long time to finalise.

Tourism, business and transit visas for Australia

Australia has many different visitor’s visas, each valid for different durations depending on nationality. The standard Australian visit visa and its subtypes are categorised according to tourism, business, or visiting family. Visitor visas may grant stays of up to 12 months.

Visitor visa for Australia

Tourists or expats intending to study or change visas once in Australia should apply for the Visitor visa first. It allows travellers to enter Australia as a tourist only and allows a stay of up to 12 months. Applicants must apply before travelling to Australia, and prove that they can fund their stay in the country. Holders of this visa cannot legally work in Australia.

eVisitor visas for Australia

Some nationalities are eligible for a free eVisitor visa. Holders of this visa may visit Australia for up to three months at a time in a 12-month period. These visas can only be applied for online and only from outside Australia. Expats only need a passport to apply.

Working holiday visas for Australia

Young people between 18 and 30 (35 in some cases) who hail from one of the eligible countries on the Australian Home Affairs website, can visit Australia and work temporarily to fund their travels. The Working Holiday visa is not intended for permanent relocation and is only valid for 12 months.

Applicants must have a passport valid for at least a year after their arrival, and enough funds to support themselves initially.

If Working Holiday visa holders complete at least three months of regional work, they may be eligible to apply for an extension to their original visa. A record of employment is often necessary for an extension.

Those not eligible for the Working Holiday Visa may be eligible instead for the very similar Work and Holiday Visa. 

Transit visas for Australia

When travelling through Australia, expats will need a Transit visa. These are relatively easy to get and have few requirements. Travellers must apply from outside of Australia and have a confirmed booking to another country within 72 hours of entry. Documents supporting these claims are necessary, so travel documents should be kept handy. Expats joining non-military ships also need Maritime Crew visas.

Student visas for Australia

Studying in Australia is only possible with a Student visa. This visa allows a stay of up to five years with proof of enrolment. It allows students to participate in studies, bring over family members and work unlimited hours in any sector.

To apply, expats must be enrolled in any course of study in Australia, have Overseas Student Health Coverage (OSHC) and hold at least a Visitor visa.

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global (10% off family health plans in June)

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!