Visas for Italy

The requirements and process to get a visa for Italy will vary depending on the applicant's country of origin and their reason for visiting Italy.

Citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), and those from a designated list of countries drawn up by the Italian government are afforded visa-free entry into Italy and the right to a 90-day stay. This list includes Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the USA, but does not include India or South Africa, among others.

EU and EFTA citizens only need a passport valid for three months after their departure date to pass the border. No additional tourist visa or business visa is required. Citizens of the European Union (EU) may also legally work in Italy without a work permit. All they would need to do is apply for a residence card in order to navigate bureaucratic channels and tap into certain parts of local life, like opening a bank account.

Citizens of countries not appearing on the visa-free list must apply for a Schengen visa to gain entry into Italy for tourism or business purposes. 

Schengen visas for Italy

There are two main types of visas for Italy. The Uniform Schengen Visa (USV) or type C is a short-term visa that is valid for up to 90 days and allows for travel to Italy and other Schengen states. The second kind of visa is the National Visa (NV) or type D, a long-term entry visa that allows the holder to stay in Italy for specific purposes, such as to study in the country. The type D visa may allow for travel to other Schengen countries.

Type C and D visas fall into a number of different categories, each of which has their own requirements. Prominent among these are the visas for business, subordinate work, independent work, working holiday and study.

Schengen visas allow individuals access to other EU member states (except the UK and Ireland), as well as three non-EU member states (Switzerland, Iceland and Norway).

Non-EU citizens who want to work in Italy will need to apply for a work permit

Residence permits for Italy

If staying in Italy for more than 90 days, expats will need to apply for a residence permit. Expats will need to prove a legitimate reason for their stay and this will determine the length of the permit's validity. For instance, a residence permit can be granted for seasonal work, for study purposes, or for self-employment, open-ended employment, or family reunification, valid for up to two years.

Expats will have to apply to renew their residence permits at least 90, 60 or 30 days before the expiry date, depending on the length the permit was granted for.

*Visa requirements can change at short notice and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Aetna International

Aetna is an award-winning insurance business that provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. Their high quality health insurance plans are tailored to meet the individual needs of expats living and working abroad.

Get a quote from Aetna International


Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global