Expert Info

Posted by Harwinder
on 11 Dec 2019

I did a Masters degree in tourism from Italy (Milano) in 2018. After that I did an internship in Milan and returned from there in February 2019.

My permesso di Soggiorno (studio) expired on 25 September 2019. I want to go back to Italy to search for a job.  Can I apply for a tourist visa and then go to Italy and find a job and get it converted into work permit (lavoro subordinato)?

Or should I do the one year job seek permit?

StevenVoortman on 4 Feb 2020 - 13:45

Hi Harwinder,

Currently, Italy has Working Holiday Visa agreements with Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Korea, which would allow young people aged 18-30 to live and work in Italy for up to a year.

Expats who live outside of  these countries, and outside of the European Union, must apply for a residence permit in order to work in Italy. It is advised that expats should first look for employment before moving over to Italy. If you are unable to find work in Italy, there are several relocation agencies that may be able to assist you.

You can have a look at our guide on Working in Italy to get a general idea of visa requirements to work in Italy. . It is important to note that visa and work permit requirements are subject to change at short notice, and expats should consult their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details. 

Hope this helps!


Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global



Aetna International, offering comprehensive global medical coverage, has a network of 1.3 million medical providers worldwide. You will have the flexibility to choose from six areas of coverage, including worldwide, multiple levels of benefits to choose from, plus various optional benefits to meet your needs.

Get your free no-obligation quotes now!

Moving Companies

Sirelo logo

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes now!