Expert Info

Posted by bacall5
on 20 Aug 2017
Hello! I am the mother of two British/American adult children. Father born and living in Leeds, U.K.. My Son is moving to Ireland for school, work and family. My Daughter and I will be joining him in March 2017. I am American and hold only an American passport. Is it true? My 24 year old Son can sponsor me to move to Ireland as I am disabled and financially dependent on him? If so, how long until I would get a residance card- then work? Kindly, Lori
EmmaL on 21 Aug 2017 - 13:20
Hi Lori

It is possible to move to Ireland as a dependant. Have a look at our page on visas in Ireland for some more information.

What kind of work are you planning on doing once you're in Ireland? You will need to receive a residence permit when you move to Ireland, and it is part of the visa procedure as a dependant. See the Ireland Immigration website for how to apply for this.

Good luck,

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Aetna International

Aetna is an award-winning insurance business that provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. Their high quality health insurance plans are tailored to meet the individual needs of expats living and working abroad.

Get a quote from Aetna International


Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global