Expert Info

Posted by nicholesuzette
on 13 Dec 2017

Hi, I plan to marry my boyfriend, a citizen, born and raised in London and living there. We plan to marry in the States, then I will move to the London about 6 months later. I am having a hard time figuring out what and how to get citizenship, or at the very least be able to work when I move there.
I find the website very vague and difficult to navigate especially with my specific situation.

Any input would be appreciated.


EmmaL on 14 Dec 2017 - 06:48
Hi nicholesuzette

Congratulations on your engagement! Getting citizenship in the UK is notoriously tricky, even if you're getting married to a British citizen. Have you read our guide to visas for the UK

You'll most likely need a family visa. Have a look at the UK government site on family visas for the requirements and how to apply. Are you a US citizen?

Hope this helps!

Expat Health Insurance


Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global


Moving Internationally?

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes now!