Hi - I am being transferred internally to Tokyo but have an unmarried partner who I obviously want to come with me. Does anyone have any experience of the best way to get her a visa to stay in Japan with me while I am here? Is it possible that I can sponsor / guarantee or stay or get my company to apply to the Immigration Bureau for a dependent's visa if we can prove we have been living together for 8 years? Thanks!
GabyS on 31 Jul 2012 - 08:29
Hi Chris

I suspect you will need to be married. I suggest you contact your local Japanese immigration authority for more information. What nationality are you and what nationality is your girlfriend? I ask because it might be possible for her to stay in Japan without a visa for a few months - at which point perhaps she can use the time to find work for herself and re-enter Japan on a work visa of her own.