on 4 Dec 2013

I just got hired for a freelance project that will take place in Botswana starting early next yr. The duration of the project is just 3 months - do you think I really need to apply for a work permit for such a short period or can I get away with being in the country on a tourist visa as it is only such a short period ?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Shantalie on 5 Dec 2013
Hey Sally,

Congrats on the job offer in Botswana!

You are not allowed to take up any form of employment in Botswana on a tourist visa.

Even though it is just a short-term project you will need to apply for a work-permit to legally be able to work. However, in your case you will only need to apply for a temporary work permit, as the contract is pretty short.These visas take about 2 weeks or so to process and are valid for jobs that last up to 6 months.

Hopefully, you should get some support from your employer when it comes to work permit for Botswana. For more information check out our new Visas for Botswana page.

Good luck,

Daniel van Nie… on 29 Dec 2013
Absolutely correct.

You will have to apply for a work permit WAIVER. I know the finger printing system is down from time to time, but this should not delay the issue of a waiver I would imagine?

Daniel