Expert Info

Posted by RJBrown
on 23 Sep 2020

Hello my name is Ryan, I’m 21 and am currently living in the UK. My job title is an IT Infrastructure Technician. 

My future plan is to move to Korea for work and eventually settle down there if I enjoy my time there. However, I’m not sure if I want to continue pursuing my career in IT and was wondering what other chances I would have at gaining a working visa. How do I get a work permit for Korea? What is my best shot at obtaining a visa? Can I obtain a work visa from working any job in Korea or does it have to be a specific job title? For example in a Bar or as a personal trainer?

I'm just a little confused as there are floods of different information online and it’s started to melt my brain. So if anyone could help me or point me in the way of some useful resources then I would be extremely grateful :) 

Many thanks

Anonymous (not verified) on 28 Sep 2020 - 11:54

Hi Ryan! Moving to Korea sounds very exciting and I wish you all the best! Knowing how to start is generally one of the hardest parts. Hopefully this page on Work Permits for South Korea will help clarify some things for you! You can get a work visa for a whole range of employment fields in Korea, but it is typically done once an expat already has a job in place. Have you started looking for jobs in Korea?

From what I understand, employers must apply to the Ministry of Justice to hire employees from abroad, so when searching for work in Korea, make sure that the employing organisation is happy to employ expats. These employers or sponsors will typically know the process and undergo most of the initial work permit application on your behalf.

That said, when researching visas and entry permits for Korea, you will come across all sorts of visa types – you can read more in Visas for South Korea. Finding the right visa type depends on your individual circumstances. If you were to work in the IT field, you would possibly investigate the Specially Designated Activity visas. This can seem overwhelming, so I will also suggest, as you live in the UK, that you check the GOV.UK website regarding entry requirements for South Korea. It will also be helpful to follow up by calling the nearest embassy to get the latest info as visa regulations are subject to change.

I hope this helps!

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!