We are going to Europe for 3 months and taking our 5lb dog with us. We are flying round trip to Barcelona.
I see the requirements going over with a certificate dated no more than 10 days prior to travel, having a microchip, current vaccinations and appropriate owner and dog descriptions. What about on returning to US?
Returning to the United States,all dogs must be healthy. And if your dogs are coming from a high risk country for rabies, they must have valid rabies vaccination certificates to enter the United States.
- Dogs must be at least 12 weeks old to get the rabies vaccination.
- If this is your dog’s first rabies vaccination, you will have to wait 28 days before traveling to allow the vaccine to take effect.
- If you’re not sure or don’t have proof your dog was vaccinated before, have your dog vaccinated; then wait 28 days before traveling.
- If your adult dog’s rabies booster is current, you can travel without waiting 28 days.
- Your dog’s rabies vaccination certificate must be valid for the duration of your trip.