Expert Info

Posted by Matthew Trounce
on 28 Nov 2021

I have bought a Gibraltar registered car in the UK and plan to drive it from the UK to our new home in Marbella in December. I will then register the car in Spain immediately.

My problem is that I cannot find a Spanish insurer that will insure it on the Gibraltar plates pending Spanish registration.

I can't find a UK insurer that will insure it on Gibraltar plates, they need it registered as a UK car first (not economically or time viable).

I can't find a Gibraltar insurer that will insure it unless I have a registered Gibraltar address.

Ideally, I need a Spanish insurer that will insure the vehicle either on its Gib registration or on its Chassis Number, whilst on it journey from Santander to Marbella, pending the registration in Spain. I have already engaged with a Gestor to do this as early as possible after my arrival.

Any help or advice would be graciously received.


Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global (10% off family health plans in June)

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!