Hey guys, we are thinking of moving to Kiev as I have been offered a position at a school there, but there are a few things that I'm worried about. I have heard terrible things that Ukranians are racist, especially towards Asian people. This concerns me, as even though both me and my boyfriend are American, he is of Chinese decent, and if we're going to be living there, I don't want to be fearful of how we will be treated. Also, I hear corruption is a problem. Will this affect us? Has anyone had any experience of this? Would be great to hear from expats in Ukraine who are willing to share their insights about this....
Candice on 23 Apr 2013
Hi Sally

There have been racial attacks on immigrants of Asian and African descent in the Ukraine in the past but one cannot generalise these sentiments across the entire population. I doubt the racism of a few people will affect your boyfriend in his day to day life. 

Corruption is an issue in the Ukraine, especially amongst the police. But again, one cannot let the bad behaviour of a few deter you from making a life in the Ukraine. 

Perhaps have a look at page Moving to Ukraine which will give you an overview of the country and a brief insight into what it might be like to live there.

Best of luck with your move

Candice
Anonymous (not verified) on 9 May 2013
Why go to Ukraine? There are more then 100 countries on the planet.
Anonymous (not verified) on 29 May 2013
Hello Sally! Do not be worried! Kiev is very safe! If you need any help here just contact me. osolomchenko@ukr.net All you heard bullshit!
Anonymous (not verified) on 10 Jun 2015
Hi Sally, there are not any racist stuff noted, at least about the same level as in europe, we are friendly to expats. Move in and you won't regret.