Expert Info

Posted by saamah
on 9 Aug 2016
Hello, I am a British citizen moving to Germany, probably temporarily, but not sure. I will still be working for a British employer and initially paying tax in the UK. In the long term I will probably need to switch my tax country to Germany, but before that, I'm not sure how to deal with health insurance. If I pay full whack for German health insurance I will in effect be paying double for health care - paying with my English taxes, and with health insurance. But if I don't set up health insurance, then I'm not sure the EHIC card will cover things. Does anyone have a similar experience? Many thanks Saamah
Anonymous (not verified) on 26 Aug 2016 - 10:33
I'm trying to find out similar information - though I'm self employed which makes things a bit more tricky. Your tax and national insurance contributions will probably be paid in the UK hopefully arranged by your employer - check with them, especially with regard to NI contributions. EHIC only covers emergency care and some preexisting conditions which you may need emergency care for. I've read about people not being adequately covered by the 'correct' German health insurances and as a penalty will be back charged for time that wasn't covered. Check thoroughly what you need to be covered for with German authorities. Good luck!

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Aetna International

Aetna is an award-winning insurance business that provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. Their high quality health insurance plans are tailored to meet the individual needs of expats living and working abroad.

Get a quote from Aetna International


Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global