Posted by Liinas
Hi! I've been offered a job in Copenhagen with a salary of 30 000 DKK gross (approx. 19 000 DKK net). It's notably less than I asked for and I'm trying to figure out if it will be worth to consider this job nonetheless. I'd be okay with a furnished studio within a reasonable distance from my work, close to Copenhagen University. Being 35, I'd rather avoid shared accommodation if possible. I do have financial commitments that I would still have to take care of at home, so I'd need an estimate for the living costs of a single person. I'm not looking for a lavish life but to be able to eat out and go to the movies or theater every once in a while, afford a a monthly yoga pass, be able to cook at home (a decent kitchen, as cooking is one of my hobbies) and save about 1500 DKK a month to uphold a long-distance relationship with my fiance. I've tried doing the math based on info I've found online, but info on things like monthly food costs etc is a bit difficult to find. I'd be very happy if you could help me out :)
Meagan on 22 Aug 2016 - 10:05
Hi Liinas,

You can have a look at our Cost of Living in Denmark page - it includes a cost of living table which was updated last month so the information should be relatively current. I can also recommend Numbeo and Expatistan, both of which you'll be able to find easily by Googling. These are two cost of living databases that constantly gather figures, and they're both very extensive. You can draw up a mock budget using these figures. For instance, the prices of individual grocery items like milk, bread, chicken breasts etc, are listed. By estimating what items (and how much of them) you buy in a month, you can get an idea of monthly food costs.

Hope this helps.

Meagan on 22 Aug 2016 - 12:18
Oh dear! I see what you mean. Well, hopefully someone local will come along on the forum and answer your question. Good luck!
Anonymous (not verified) on 22 Aug 2016 - 11:11
Thanks Meagan, I did try and do that but for a celiac, non-dairy using vegetarian those tables are not very useful :)

“Aetna

Aetna

Aetna International, offering comprehensive global medical coverage, has a network of 1.3 million medical providers worldwide. You will have the flexibility to choose from six areas of coverage, including worldwide, multiple levels of benefits to choose from, plus various optional benefits to meet your needs.