Planning on moving to Seattle in 2014 to build my career in IT. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on getting around in the city. 

I am from London where I've spent all my life using public transport and doing a bit of cycling from time to time. I know Americans love to drive, but how necessary will it be for me to have my own car in Seattle ?

Cheers,

Jonny
ShantalieH on 16 Aug 2013 - 09:05
Hi Jonny,

Seattle is a great place to build a career in the IT sector with companies such as Google, Microsoft and Facebook having offices in the city I'm sure you'll find lots of opportunities.

I don't think you can really compare public transport in Seattle with the extensive system found in London or other big US cities like New York, Washington and Boston. While public transport in Seattle exists and is pretty decent, the fact is most Seattleites do own a car. While they may not use it for their everyday commute to work, having a car will certainly make life easier.

To find out more about transport options in the city check out the Getting around in Seattle page.

Best of luck,