Expert Info

on 20 Jun 2023

Hi I’m thinking of moving to Hungary from the UK for a period of 12-18  months and registering as a resident. I will be travelling extensively from Hungary to the USA in that period. Can someone please advise me of the process for registering as a resident and the minimum amount of time annually I would need to be in Hungary to be considered as such?


Daniel_S on 21 Jun 2023 - 08:08

Hi Stefan,

If you haven't already, take a look at the Expat Arrivals guides on Visas and Work Permits for Hungary for an overview.

1) The long and short of it is that as a non-EU citizen, you'll first apply for a one-year residence permit using the forms available on the Hungarian Immigration Office site. There are slightly different requirements for Family Reunification, Study, Employment and Gainful Activity among others (which can be found on the 'Residence in Hungary' dropdown menu).

You can make the application on the Hungarian government's Enter Hungary website. Alternatively, find the resident permit that suits your situation, download and complete the necessary forms, and submit these along with the application fee (probably EUR 110) and any required supporting documents at your local Hungarian embassy or consulate. Here's the Hungarian embassy in London, for example.

2) Once your residence permit is approved, you'll be granted a single-entry visa, valid for 30 days, for the purpose of collecting your permit in Hungary. Your residence permit is valid for one year and can be renewed several times as long as you meet certain criteria. Most of the residence permits include the following text:

The extension of the residence permit may be granted only if the conditions set out in the law are met and the residence of the third-country national has exceeded 90 days within any 180 days prior to the submission of the application for a residence permit.

...which seems to indicate you need to spend a minimum of three months out of six in Hungary to successfully apply for a renewal. But I'd recommend you consult the Hungarian Immigration Office or a relocation specialist to ensure you fulfil all the criteria.

I hope this helps!
Kind regards,


Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Medical insurance specifically designed for expats. With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider.

Get a quote from Cigna Global - 20% off

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!