Expert Info

Posted by
on 6 May 2020


My name is Grace and I am a 16 year old high school graduate. I would like to go into the culinary industry and have always loved France and French cuisine. I have applied to and hope to get a job in France (in a commis or kitchen porter position) but I also plan on eventually attending a culinary school once I can afford it. I have extensively looked but cannot seem to find a straight answer as to what type of visa or permit I would need. Can anyone advise me as to what type of visa or permit I would need? 

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous (not verified) on 7 May 2020 - 07:24

Hi Grace,

That sounds like a great opportunity! Where are you from? If you hold an EU or EEA passport then you don't need to worry much about visas. 

Otherwise, the procedure normally seems complicated. If you want to work you have to apply for a work permit, and for this, you normally already need to have a job in place with a contract. You will also have to look into a long-stay visa if you plan on living in France for more than 90 days and can be done once you are there. The residence permit comes after that – if you are planning on staying in France for over a year, you will probably need to apply for this.

Of course, your age is also important. From age 18, you can work unrestricted in France, but before that, issues like parental permission come into play.

My advice is to read out pages on Visas and Work Permits for France alongside each other and contact your embassy for the most updated and specific advice. They can also advise you on alternative routes to take. We have a brief list of embassy contact details here.

Maybe someone on the forum has personal experience with visas for France and can advise you.

All the best,


Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance. 20% off premiums booked before 31st March

Medical insurance specifically designed for expats. With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider.

Get a quote from Cigna Global - 20% off

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!