Posted by Merle
My husband and I are considering moving to Malaysia and we are looking at bringing our car with even though the import duty is high. Can anyone tell us what the annual road tax is on a car?
Meagan on 24 Jan 2017 - 12:59
Hi Merle,

As you already know, car taxes in Malaysia are very high. This is to preserve the monopoly of the country's local car manufacturers. Their tax system for car imports seems pretty complicated though and requires some specialist knowledge to understand, so I think it'd be best if you consulted with a tax advisor about this.

Best of luck!

Anonymous (not verified) on 26 Apr 2017 - 12:32
The annual road tax is RM 90, at least for my car. Overall this should be no big financial burden. The one time registration fee is RM 300.
Anonymous (not verified) on 20 May 2017 - 16:04
If you are retiring in Malaysia you might be considering a MM2H visa program. There are some exemptions for the import duty for a car brought in from abroad. Alternatively you can also get a discount on other taxes related to a new Malaysian domestically built vehicle % of tax break varies on how much the vehicle is reassembled using foreign parts. Many Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagens, and even BMW's are reassembled in Malaysia.