Hi I may be moving to SF on an assignment for 2 years. Would like to know if I would be required to purchase a health insurance plan for myself from a local health insurance company mandatorily or can my resident country insurance be applicable in USA if it covers planned international treatment . Also, are there any minimum limits for the health insurance cover in SF? Awaiting response Thanks Sameera Singh
Anonymous (not verified) on 28 Sep 2015 - 09:29
Hi Sameera,

The question of health insurance for the USA is quite complex.

Health insurance is mandatory and if you plan on staying in the USA long term you'll need local health insurance, travel insurance from your home country will not suffice.

Here is a really useful article which should answer your questions : Understanding Health Insurance in the USA ?

Can you clarify what you mean by planned international treatment? Are you moving to the USA for medical reasons/treatment.

Anonymous (not verified) on 28 Sep 2015 - 09:50
Hi Shantalie In india I have an insurance policy that covers me for any treatment that I may have to undergo while staying in a foreign country ( this is part of health policy and not travel policy). Would such a cover be accepted in teh US hospitals or would i mandatorily require health insurance cover from a local insurance company. I am not moving for any treatment as of now.

Cigna Health Insurance -

Cigna Global can tailor an international health insurance plan to perfectly fit the needs of you and your family. With 86 million customers in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world. Cigna are offering a 10% discount on all policies bought in November and December.