Posted by SALAM03
Hi
I am from UK and might be moving to Fiji shortly and would like to know if it is possible for my wife to work ? She has worked as a teachers assistant in Qatar recently and is keen on similar..
Thanks
Meagan on 15 Aug 2016

It may prove a bit challenging for her to get a job, mainly because she will need to first get a job before a work permit, and in applying for the permit her new employer would need to prove that it wasn't possible for someone from Fiji to fill that role. This can be difficult to achieve. Also, the majority of the country's economy is rooted in the agriculture industry, so naturally that sector would be the one with the most jobs available. I'd recommend reading the  Working in Fiji and Visas for Fiji pages for some more information. Ideally she should search for a job online, or perhaps get in contact directly with some schools there. It would be best if she can manage to secure a job before you go to Fiji.

Best of luck.
Anonymous (not verified) on 15 Aug 2016
Thanks Meagan, that was most helpful. Rgds Joe
Anonymous (not verified) on 26 Nov 2016
Hello, I am moving to Fiji in Feb with my husband who has a job for 6 months. I would also like to work. I am a midwife and child and family health nurse. What is the best way to seek work in the health system in Fiji? Do I need a visa first and then apply for work? I would appreciate some pointers. We will be living in Nadi and are looking for accommodation. Denuaru Island is very expensive. What other areas would you consider looking for rentals. Thanks Cheers Felicity
Meagan on 28 Nov 2016
Hi Felicity,

It's a bit of a catch-22. You'd need to apply for a work permit from outside of Fiji - without a work permit you won't have the right to work, and so you wouldn't be able to look for a job. However, without a job, it isn't possible to get a work permit unless you're starting a business in the country. So it's a tricky system to navigate. For more info on working and visas in Fiji please click here and here.

Best of luck.