Expert Info

Posted by sachiko
on 18 Apr 2016
Hello. I have been offered a job opportunity by my employer in Poland. The company handles all the residence and work permit for myself. I will be moving with my husband and my company does not support any visa for my husband. Is there a regulation or law related to spouses or partners for residence and work permit?
Anonymous (not verified) on 20 Apr 2016 - 11:44
Dear Shantalie, Thanks a lot for your comment:) You are right, I missed to mention an important point. We are originally from Turkey, hence a Non-EU immigrant. I understand from the link you provided the Type of work permit/visa will be Type A. Do you know if there is a regulation related to spouses or partners for residence and work permit in my case? I think my husband can have residence visa with my sponsorship but he will be able to get work permit once he has been offered a job in Warsaw (then he needs to renew his residence permit). Pratically, is there anybody who has such an experience? Is it easy for him to get a job in these curcimstances?
Shantalie on 20 Apr 2016 - 10:12
Hi Sachiko,

Where are from originally? Your nationality effects the type of visa you'll be entitled to in Poland. 

You can read more about work permits on the Work Permits for Poland page.



Anonymous (not verified) on 29 Jun 2016 - 02:30
Hello, coincidentally I am also looking to get an answer on this. I am a US citizen and my husband will be getting Type A work permit. I will move with him but would really like to find another job, I need to understand if he gets the residence card/Type A, do I also have to get a work permit or does the Work Permit extend to spouses?
Meagan on 10 Aug 2016 - 10:28
Hi there,

Unfortunately Poland does not legally recognise same-sex marriages - same-sex marriages are in fact constitutionally banned. I'm not sure what the exact ramifications would be for you and your partner, but in general Poland is not particularly tolerant of the LGBT community; see this page for more info on that.

Since your marriage won't be recognised, that might make it difficult for your husband to get a visa unless he has a job secured, too. Residence visas may be granted for family reasons but without recognition of the marriage I don't know if it would go through. For more info, you can read our Visas for Poland page. If you do decide to go, it might be a good idea to get some professional advice regarding visas since your situation is complicated by Poland's laws.

Best of luck.

Anonymous (not verified) on 9 Aug 2016 - 16:36
I am a US citizen in a same sex marriage. My company is considering relocating me and my family (we have a 14 year old son) to Wroclaw. Will our same sex marriage be recognized? Will my husband be able to get a visa as well? Any stigma or discrimination of which we should be aware? Thanks!

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Aetna International

Aetna is an award-winning insurance business that provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. Their high quality health insurance plans are tailored to meet the individual needs of expats living and working abroad.

Get a quote from Aetna International


Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global