Expert Info

Posted by
on 13 Oct 2015
Hi. I'm a single mum with a 3 year old toddler from Singapore and intending to stay in Edinburgh for long. I'm holding on to a Singapore passport but my child is on British passport. Not too sure if letting agents in Edinburgh will rent out flats to foreigners and what are the extra costs that I should look out for? Where in Edinburgh would be good and affordable with suitable schools for my child? Also, can I apply for broadband services on a foreign passport? Would appreciate if someone could guide me through the process. Thanks!
Anonymous (not verified) on 19 Oct 2015 - 19:32
This is an excellent listing of property u can search through Jessica! When my family and I first landed in Edinburgh and stayed at a local hotel for the first week, we managed to find a cozy place in Northfield area. Very close to the city centre and the Royal High and Portobello schools were excellent. Good Luck Jayne :)
Anonymous (not verified) on 15 Oct 2015 - 15:47
Hi Shantalie, I would like to take my child back to Scotland because that was what my husband wanted before he passed away. Also, I have too many unhappy memories here which I want to get away with. I'm not too sure what kind of work I'm eligible for in UK. I used to work as an office manager in Singapore before I have my child. Frankly, I don't need to stay in the city centre because it's more expensive. But where else would you recommend? I need a place where it is close to school, grocery shop and with good transport links. By the way, do you have any idea when I can start applying for "leave to remain" visa when I'm in UK? I sent an enquiry to GOV.UK but they referred me to a link which still doesn't answer to my question. Thank You. Jessica
Anonymous (not verified) on 15 Oct 2015 - 08:42
Hi Jessica, Having your visa and residential status sorted in the UK will be a priority. It will certainly make all the other tasks you've mentioned much easier. Without a long-term visa.You'll struggle to get more than a short-let till you have a proper visa. As long as you are legally living in the UK, your child can attend a state school at no cost. I think you'll struggle to get a council flat in the UK as an expat. You are entitled to apply but waiting lists are long and naturally preference is given to candidates in need - such as low income tenants, families living in cramped quarters and disabled people. Edinburgh is a small city and demand for property is high. I think you'll struggle to find a place for GBP 400-500 a month, but its not impossible. Festive season might not be the best time to start your search though. I suggest using internet portals to get an idea of what is out there. What are your reasons for moving to the UK? What kind of work will you be looking for? Shantalie
Anonymous (not verified) on 15 Oct 2015 - 03:03
Hi Shantalie, I'm so glad to have received your reply as I am totally lost. I will be on a tourist visa when arriving in UK and intend to apply for "family of a settled person" visa once I'm inside UK. I have sent out many emails to letting agents in Edinburgh but only one replied. She commented that foreigners can rent a property if they have references but again avoided the question on additional costs and etc. How do I pay for utilities bill if I get an apartment? How do I apply for WIFI in the flat? I intend to send my child to a community/public school to save some costs. Do you have any idea if I can apply for Council House when I have a valid visa to stay in UK? I plan to go to Edinburgh in December and maybe put up in some cheap B&B while searching for a decent and cheap flat around £400 to £500 per mth. Do you think it's a good idea to do home hunt with a kid during festive season? Looking forward to your reply. Jessica
Anonymous (not verified) on 14 Oct 2015 - 15:23
Hi Jessica,

What type of visa are you going to be on when you move to the UK ?

I'm asking because it is likely you'll be asked to provide this in order to secure a rental contract. You should contect an estate agent for more precise information.

What is your budget for school fees for your child? You can read about various options of the Education and Schoool in Edinburgh.

Let me know and I'll try telp your furthur.


Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Medical insurance specifically designed for expats. With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider.

Get a quote from Cigna Global - 20% off

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!