Expert Info

Posted by
on 24 Jul 2014
Hi, I am considering a move and, while looking through a lot of information, I can't seem to find advice on how to find somewhere to live initially. When applying for a visa, do you need somewhere to have somewhere to live/stay or is your current address all that is needed? And when you arrive in the USA, do you need to have a permantent address or is a temporary address enough to get you started? (be it a hotel, with family/friends etc)
Anonymous (not verified) on 25 Jul 2014 - 08:44
Hi Selket,

What type of visa do you wish to apply for? 

While in many cases you won't need a permanent address, if you plan on moving to the USA in the long-term, I would advise you to apply for the visa from your home country rather than arrive in the USA and then try to make the application.

You should consult the US Dept of State website for more detailed information on all types of visas. You can also use the Visas in the USA page for an overview.

Good luck


Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!