Skip to main content

Financial aid and student visa requirements in the USA

Updated 14 Aug 2018

Most American colleges welcome expat students and won't treat them differently for most of the admission process. However, financial aid and visa requirements for international college admissions are two logistical hurdles that expats should consider well in advance.

Cost of college in the US

American colleges vary dramatically in cost. Tuition costs, along with housing, books and personal expenses, should be considered. Some colleges are residential, meaning that students are required to live in a dorm room for at least one year. Colleges usually have comprehensive fee schedules available online. When calculating monthly expenses, it can be helpful to research the cost of living in that particular city in order to draw up a rough budget.

Application for a US student visa

In order to gain admission into a US tertiary institution as an international student, it is necessary to apply for a student visa as well as provide proof of being able to pay the required tuition. When a student applies to a college, there is usually a statement of finances form that is required for such proof. Students who cannot support themselves through their college years will need to apply for financial aid.

In recent years, visa requirements for international students have become more stringent and the application process more tedious. Expats planning to apply should note that it takes time to wind through the cumbersome maze that is the application process. Once accepted, the student needs to obtain supporting documentation from the school, confirming their place there. This is used to apply for an actual visa. There are fees involved with this, though some wealthier institutions pay those fees for students who applied for financial aid.

Getting financial aid in the US

American students who need financial aid can access it through various federal programs. However, these programs are largely limited to US citizens and permanent residents since they are funded by US taxes. International students are therefore usually not eligible for such aid.

Instead, expat students will need to apply to the college of their acceptance and apply directly to the college for financial aid. Unfortunately, US colleges only have a limited foreign financial aid budget, so applying in a timely fashion may be crucial to a student’s chances of securing such aid.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global (10% off family health plans in June)

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!