Skip to main content

Colleges and universities in the USA

Updated 14 Aug 2018

The US has over 4,000 degree-granting institutions, which opens up an amazing wealth of opportunities for expats moving to the country with children approaching college age. Though the sheer magnitude of options can seem daunting, a bit of research and background knowledge can make it easier to narrow down the school selection process and focus on specific applications.

Note that Americans tend to use the words "college", "university" and even "school" quite interchangeably; therefore the term used in normal conversation may not necessarily denote a difference in size, quality or category.

There are three kinds of institutions that new arrivals in the US ought to consider.

Community colleges in the USA

Community colleges grant graduates an associate’s degree (AA/AS) after two years of study, often at significantly lower cost than at four-year institutions. Many of the courses offered by community colleges are vocational – auto mechanics, secretarial training, medical technology, paralegal education, etc. But they will also offer many courses that will allow students to transfer to four-year institutions after two years. These represent the lowest rung of tertiary education in the United States.

Colleges in the USA

Colleges are institutions that grant bachelor degrees (BA/BS) and in a few instances also master's degrees (MA/MS). They tend to be smaller in size, and they vary quite dramatically in selectivity and in quality. Some of them are state institutions, though the majority are privately owned and run. There are some colleges run by specific religious groups, and also a few women’s colleges.

Universities in the USA

 Universities also award bachelor degrees but in addition, they grant master's and doctoral degrees as well (PhD). Universities tend to be larger – some state schools may have tens of thousands of students – they often have very good research facilities. International students are welcomed at universities countrywide, but some universities may charge higher fees for non-US nationals.

Tertiary education funding in the USA

The universities and colleges in the US tend to be well-financed and often have a number of scholarships or financial aid available to supplement tuition. Though expat children don't usually qualify as easily as American citizens, there are still opportunities available that are worth researching. Additionally, expats should check with government and private organisations in their country of origin to see if a child can take advantage of any available financing.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!