We are considering a move to Ontario. My husband has been offered a job and will be located in Thornhill. We are looking at areas to rent but don't know where the best places are for young families. We don't want to be near the city and would like somewhere suburban but affordable.
My husband is happy with a max 55 minute commute so could move to areas like Brampton but we don't know anything about areas like this.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Would be such a great help. Thanks
I guess you have already looked at our page on areas and suburbs in Toronto? Choosing the best areas to live as an expat will depend on so many things - budge, the commute, schools, lifestyle, etc. If you have kids, you might want to start by looking at the international schools in Toronto. I'd suggest you go on a familiarisation trip to check out the areas before you decide - make a series of appointments with some local real estate agents, and try to
Here are some options of suburbs of Toronto.
Ajax - This suburban suburb of Toronto has a population of 120,000. It's situated just east of Toronto and is popular with families with young children, and offers relative peace and quiet compared to the city. Many people have been moving to the suburbs recently, and the area is booming but much less hectic than the city. Most commuters use the Go Train to get in and out of the city. Many also drive, but the journey can be horrendous.
Pickering - this suburb neighbours Ajax, to the east, but is a little less desirable but still popular with families wanting to be out of the city centre. Some people are put off by the massive nuclear power station on the beach! North Pickering is up and coming.. but more expensive. https://www.buzzfeed.com/katangus/pickering-and-ajax-are-not-the-same
Whitby - Another popular suburb, further east still. The housing in Whitby is a bit cheaper (generally it's cheaper the farther out you go from central Toronto). South Whitby by the lake - Whitby Shores - is meant to be very nice.
Brampton is a suburb to the north of Toronto that's particularly popular with immigrants from India/ south Asia . You can get a bigger house here for your money here which is a bonus, but there are not many good schools here, and not much going on in the way of good restaurants or nightlife. It's a very popular with Asian families. Property taxes are low.
Vaughan. The city of Vaughan is around 20km north of Toronto centre. The population has increased tenfold since 1980 to 306,000. There's a large Italian and Jewish population. The recent extension of the Toronto subway line into Vaughan makes a commute to downtown Toronto much easier.
Markham - 17 km north of Toronto’s commercial centre (30 minutes by GO train). Markham has grown remarkably quickly - not long ago it was a small rural town. Property taxes are much higher than in Brampton, Vaughan, but the houses are mostly larger, nicer and newer homes for less price.
Burlington. The city of Burlington sits on the shore of Lake Ontario about 50 km south-west of Toronto. The GO Train takes 45 minutes to get to Union Station in central Toronto. It's a wealthy area and the majority of Burlington’s population of 180,000 have British ancestry. There are lots of parks and golf courses.
Oakville - next to Burlington (to its west) and with a similar demographic, the town of Oakville also lies on Lake Ontario’s shore. It's 35 km west of Toronto city centre, around 35 minutes by GO train.
Thank you so much for this.
We are currently living in Dubai, so we are trying to get our heads around salary as that will be a huge difference for us.
We are considering a trip too, but need to have some areas to explore. Toronto is huge! I'm a small town Welsh girl :o) (have lived in London though so understand big cities are pricey. Dubai sure isn't cheap either!)
We are looking forward to a total change of lifestyle.
Hi Lap_665, if wanting to be close to Thornhill, then Markham is a good area to consider. Vaughan, which is close by, also has some of the best schools in the city, so have a look at accommodation here. If wanting to be further out, also have a look at areas such as Oakville, Mississuaga and Burlington - these are great family-friendly areas to the west of the city with good schools and transport networks. I haven't heard great things about Brampton. Unfortunately, where ever you live in Toronto you're likely to face severe traffic congestion and a long commute, so definitely try and organise accommodation as close to good public transport links as possible.
Buy Registered Passport, Driver’s License (email@example.com)
We are an agency with over 120 branches worldwide cutting through Europe to the Middle East to Asia, Africa and North and South America who have the connections and the ability to issue government registered Identification and travel documents. We issue a range of documents which are all registered in the databases of the authorities in charge of issuing the document for the respective countries. We sell the following; Passports, Driver’s License, ID cards, Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Utility bills and also English language proficiency tests like; IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, and many more
Contact us today to achieve travel and identification freedom which provides you with limitless opportunities. Our contact information is as listed below;
- Buy Real Registered UK Passport Now
- Buy Real Registered UK Passport Online
- Buy Original British Passport 24/7 service
- Purchase Authentic English Passport
- Buy Real Original Diplomatic Passport Now
- Buy cheap Registered Diplomatic Passport
- Buy German Passport Online
- Buy Real Registered German Passport Now
- Buy Real Registered European Passport Today
- Obtain Real Authentic Passport Online Today
- Buy Real Registered Italian Passport
- Buy Real Registered Spanish Passport
- Buy Real Registered Portuguese Passport
- Buy Registered Driver’s License
- Buy Driver’s License Online
- Buy Real Registered Driver’s License Online
- Buy Authentic Driver’s License; 24/7 service
- Buy German Driver’s License Today
- Buy Real Registered German Driver’s License
- Buy ID cards in Europe
- Buy European ID card Online
- Buy Registered Belgian ID card
- Buy Real Registered Belgian Driver’s License
- Buy driver's license online
- Buy a Real Driver's License
- Buy International Driver’s License
- Get Passports, ID Card, Driver's License
- Buy a Provisional Driver's License
- Buy Another Driver's License
- Obtain Driver’s License in Florida
- Buy Driver’s License in China
- Purchase Driver’s License in Thailand
- Buy Driver's License EU
- Buy Driving License with no exams
- Buy Legal Driving License for Germany with MPU
- Get Swedish Driver’s License Online
- Get Real Authentic French Passport, ID card, Driver’s License
- Buy Malta Passport Now
- Get Your German Citizenship Today at discount prices
- Purchase French Citizenship Now at good prices
- Get second citizenship today in Europe
- Buy Real Registered Australian Passport Online
- Buy Australian Passport, ID cards, Driver’s License
- Buy Government Database Registered Documents fast