Expert Info

Posted by baskerva
on 16 Sep 2020


My wife and I are thinking of taking our family to Canada soon. We have been looking at postings for positions in our relative fields (IT and Biotech) and see that foreigners can apply to many. We have been looking into the process of obtaining a work permit and becoming a resident in Canada and I am a bit confused. Based on what I have read we are able to get a work permit after an jobs has been offered to us allowing us to then move. However I have also seen that we should go through the ExpressEntry portal before having a position offered to us, so that we can then move and find a job. Can anyone give guidance on which is the better method?



Anonymous (not verified) on 18 Sep 2020 - 13:20

Hi Andrew! That's a common question. I would say that it depends on your circumstances and the criteria you would meet. If you already have a job lined up then your employer should be able to provide assistance with some aspects of the Work Permit. Expat Arrivals has an overview of getting Visas for Canada and Work Permits for Canada. You seem to have already done a fair bit of research about residency and visas, although immigration matters are often confusing, and you may or may not meet eligibility criteria for specific visa types.

Hopefully someone who has gone through the process before can guide you on which method is better. In the meantime, have you contacted the nearest Canadian embassy? Additionally, as organising visas can be complicated, have you considered the services of a relocation company?

I hope that helps

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global

Cigna Global can tailor an international health insurance plan to perfectly fit the needs of you and your family. With 86 million customers in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global

Moving Companies

Sirelo logo

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes now!