Expert Info

Posted by Bommel
on 25 Jun 2018

Hi all,

My name is Thomas from Germany and I´ve got a job offer for moving to Hong Kong.


Monthly salary would be 65,000HK$ + 5,000HK$ transportation allowance. (before tax)

In addition 35,000HK$ housing allowance. I´m aiming for a 2 bedroom apartment in Kowloon/Jordan/Mong Kok. Possible?

I need to get private health insurance & dental insurance. Any references regarding the costs?  

I´ve checked costs for mobile plans, bank accounts, lifestyle costs. That´s fine so far.

Are there any other costs, additional insurances I need to think of?


Thanks for your help.

Daniela de Castro on 25 Jun 2018 - 15:20

Hi Thomas

Hong Kong is known for being one of the most expensive places to live in Asia. Accommodation can be particularly expensive, and you may have to spend more for a two bedroom apartment than you expect. Have a look at our guide to the cost of living in Hong Kong for more information on what to include in your budget once you've arrived. When are you planning to move? Will you be moving alone or with your family?

- Daniela

Bommel on 25 Jun 2018 - 15:54

Hi Daniela,

thanks for your reply and the cost of living site. I already checked it.

I´ve already checked the apartments and living costs on and

I think I´ll be fine with that.

Starting date would be September and my girlfriend would move with me (either immediately or a bit later).

ssfko on 6 Aug 2018 - 04:53

Dear Thomas, I retired as SVP at BASF Regional Headquarters in HK in 2015. I may be able to answer some HK information questions from a German person from my locally-born and -raised perspective. I still have to figure out how to send personal messages so that we can correspond offline from here. Do you know how?

AmyW on 20 Sep 2018 - 06:23

Hi Thomas, 

Don't worry! The salary is high enough for you to get a comfortable flat in Mong Kok / Kowloon / Jordan! 

I also think you may need a cash card and remittance service as soon as you move to HK. If you want to transfer money to Germany bank account, I suggest you to use local remittance house. The charge may be lower than that of bank. 


Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Medical insurance specifically designed for expats. With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider.

Get a quote from Cigna Global – 10% off

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!