Posted by JPL
on 19 Oct 2016
me and my fiancé have one child almost 2years. we are gay getting married soon. want to do farming in New Zealand(buying our own farm)I am from South Africa and he is from Mexico. what do we have to do to obtain permanent residency. Please help
Anonymous (not verified) on 10 Nov 2016
Hello JPL. If you are not a New Zealand resident you need approval from the Overseas Investment Office for purchases of more than five hectares (12.5 acres) of land. The Immigration department website at www.immigration.govt.nz will have the information you will need. I also suggest that you perhaps visit the region(s) you plan to buy in and talk to farmers there - farming in Otago high country can be very different to farming in coastal Northland. Being able to show evidence of planning will help when dealing with government officials. In some areas it can be hard make friends if you're not joining in sports teams or hobby groups. Visit the types of places you'd go as a family or a couple and see how what you think of the social climate.