Expert Info

Posted by XOH94
on 16 Jun 2017

I'm from the UK, 22 year old Burlesque dancer/Model and Media graduate hoping to move to Groningen in October, my partner is studying at the University and I'm going along with him, I've been applying for jobs but because I'm not going until October I'm struggling and saving money is difficult due to a back injury. What do I need to do before moving, do I need forms etc? I've googled and researched but yet still feel none the wiser. Any help would be grateful

Brett Martindale on 23 Jun 2017 - 09:40

Hi there,

I think a great place to start would be the UK government website on moving to the Netherlands. Here's the link:


For EU citizens, it appears that you do not need a work permit or residence permit. However, the latter may be required from banks or tax institutions for administration purposes. Make sure you have a valid passport or ID and proof that you have the financial means to support yourself if you do not get a job before the move.

In terms of finding work, I found a few Dutch job portals for you to browse: Careers In Holland, Undutchables, Hays and Adams Recruitment. There are a few others but unfortunately they are in Dutch.

You will need a tax number (BSN) to start earning, though. This will be given as soon as you register at the local town hall of your municipality.

I also suggest you visit the Immigration and Naturalisation Service website. You can phone the office from abroad, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. They will be able to tell you exactly what you need for your situation so that you don't have to panic. Check out the link below:

Additionally, you will need to take out health insurance within four months of staying in the Netherlands. This is compulsory. It will cover a basic range of services such as visits to a general practitioner, medication and hospital visits.

Hope this gives you a good start.


Anonymous (not verified) on 11 Jul 2017 - 09:51
Groningen is a great city to live. Living Costs can be high if you want to live in the centre. If you look for houses or appartements a bit north you get great value for your money and by train you get to central station in no time. If your boyfriend will study at zernike complex you can search on the west side of groningen, but it's a bit harder to get housing there. There are a lot of work agencies in groningen so you can start on flexible shifts. Almost all dutch people speak english so you'll be good. I wish you a good time here in holland! Don't forget to visit the islands.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance -

Cigna Global Health Insurance

With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider. Cigna is currently offering a 10% discount for seniors (over 60) on their Silver package.

Get a quote from Cigna Global

Moving Companies

Sirelo logo

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!