Which is more suited for expat children - public schools or international schools in Japan?
Anonymous (not verified) on 24 May 2011 - 09:01
This is a difficult comparison, and it's especially challenging to generalise and say one is better or worse than the other. Each expat family has a different situation and different priorities. That said, I've worked in a Japanese public school and these are my observations...

Japanese public schools demand a commitment from student's from very early in the morning until late at night. If children are not commuting to/from school, attending classes, engaging in the REQUIRED extra-curricular activities and then studying to complete the appropriate assignments, then they're probably sleeping. Especially at the high school level, where the all-important entrance exams are looming in the background, Japanese public school is super stressful.

So much so, that in my personal opinion, I would send my child to a public elementary school, maybe a public junior school, but not a high school.

There are plenty of international and private schools around that look to acheive a better balance between school and life. 

“Aetna

Aetna

Aetna International, offering comprehensive global medical coverage, has a network of 1.3 million medical providers worldwide. You will have the flexibility to choose from six areas of coverage, including worldwide, multiple levels of benefits to choose from, plus various optional benefits to meet your needs.