Expert Info

Posted by 77drift
on 25 Aug 2016
i have an offer of a job to work in shenzen. the offer is a 12 month contract where i will be required to be in the country for at least 6 months within the 12 month period. i'm coming from the uk and wanted to try an understand what tax or other deductions i'm likely to need to pay.
Meagan on 26 Aug 2016 - 08:32
Hi there,

Like many countries, China taxes on a progressive scale; the more you earn, the higher percentage of tax you'll have to pay. Taxation rules and regulations applying to you will also be based on your length of stay in the country, so you were quite right to think this would have an impact.

According to this table, as an expat in China for more than 6 months, you fall into the second bracket of tax, meaning all income earned in China will be taxed but any source of income from outside the country isn't taxed in China (an exception or two applies to this rule, which is mentioned in the table).

Hopefully that answers your question? You may also find the Expat Arrivals Banking, Money and Taxes page useful. It is also a good idea to check with an expat tax professional to be 100% sure of your situation. Best of luck with your new venture in China.

Martquin on 27 Aug 2016 - 13:48
Hi have you not asked the company who gave you the job offer for the tax schedule

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Aetna International

Aetna is an award-winning insurance business that provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. Their high quality health insurance plans are tailored to meet the individual needs of expats living and working abroad.

Get a quote from Aetna International


Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global