Hi There,

I was wondering if there was anyone on this forum who could give me advice on finding a place to stay in Sydney. I am a 27 year old female. I'd really like to be close to the beach. I am into art, alternative music and yoga and would be looking to share a house with similar people.

Can anyone recommend a good suburb for me ? Are there any reccommended real estate agents I could use.

Would love to hear you thoughts.

Shantalie on 10 Sep 2012
Hi Jenny,

Sydney is a great city with an excellent public transport network so there are lots of accomodation available to you.

The best suburbs for house share options in Sydney when it comes to living by the beach are Coogee and Cronulla. The area is popular with the younger generation. You'll find lots of cheaper accomodation here than in other beachside suburbs and you could probably rent a small apartment for around AUD 150 per week.

Another option for you would be Newtown. This a central area full of young bohemian types. You'll find plenty of restraunts, bars, theatres and vintage stores here. You could get a room in a house share in Newtown for around AUD 130 to AUD 150 per week.

Take a look at the Expat Arrival's page ib Areas and Suburbs in Sydney for more information.

Hope this helps.
Murtaza J Poonawala on 15 Apr 2013
Hi there, I am migrating to Sydney with my wife and 4.5 yr old son, I would like to know which would be a good area to settle in as migrants (we are from India stayed in Dubai for the last many years). I would prefer a good 2 bedroom apartment with a central location near to the office areas and with nearby school and play area facilities for children and ofcourse with Supermarkets nearby :)
Candice on 16 Apr 2013

Hi Murtaza

I would recommend the Northern Beaches of Sydney for family friendly neighbourhoods with good schools. You can find accommodation quite close to the city if you don't venture too far north. Areas like Pymble and St Ives are lovely. 

Another option nearer to the CBD is Surry Hills, which is a beautiful leafy area with good schools. You should research areas in the Inner West of Sydney as these suburbs are close to the city but still provide a family friendly environment. Apartments might be quite pricey in these areas but anywhere close to the city will be expensive. 

For more information about suburbs in Sydney see Areas and suburbs in Sydney. Also have a look at Education and schools in Sydney for information on schools in the area.

The best of luck with your move.

Candice

Murtaza J Poonawala on 17 Apr 2013
Thanks Candice, how is Rhodes and Parramatta, are they conveniently located and I would prefer an area with good tram and bus connectivity to the main office areas and not too far (max 20 mins or so),grocery shopping availibility, community living and good schools, which ones do you suggest ?
Vince Borg on 4 Mar 2014
Finding a place to rent in Sydney can take a few weeks as most rental properties have a lot of people after them. This would mean that you should find some where temporary to stay while looking for more permanent accommodation. There are quite a few companies which provide temporary furnished apartments for rent in Sydney but you can expect the costs be much higher than a conventional rental. When I moved to Sydney, I used a Short Term Apartment Rentals who seemed to be more flexible with my requirements and budget. (http://www.shorttermapartmentrentals.com.a) I hope this is of some help for future expats wanting to stay in Sydney.