Expert Info

Posted by lrmedina
on 19 Mar 2017

Hi there,

My husband will soon be relocated to NYC and I was thinking about taking some business courses for at least one year at a University or College.

Does any of you have some tip?
I don't know where to start looking for information!


Meagan on 20 Mar 2017 - 12:05
Hi there,

NYC is home to many well-respected universities and has a thriving community of international students. To find the best school to suit your needs, try looking for a ranking of the city's universities and colleges for business related studies.

Cost is an important consideration as universities will generally charge international students higher fees. At present, what visa are you planning to move to the US on? I ask because in order to study there, you would most likely need to obtain a US student visa, most likely an F visa. You might be able to switch to an F visa from within in the US, again depending on the visa you enter on.

What country are you originally from? Some universities will require proof of English language proficiency for students from countries that do not have English as a majority language. You may also need to take standardised college admission tests such as the SAT or ACT.

Generally, the best route to take is to consult the websites of specific universities/colleges in the area and getting in touch with them if you have questions.

Best of luck with the move.

lrmedina on 20 Mar 2017 - 16:12
dear Meagan, I am not quite sure about my type of Visa to be honest, he works for the UN and they still did not communicate that. But I have a question, if I get a work permit Visa, am I allowed to study? or do I need a student Visa for that? And yes, I would try to ask the schools/universities that I am interested on, but will take soooo long. Thanks!

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global

Cigna Global can tailor an international health insurance plan to perfectly fit the needs of you and your family. With 86 million customers in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global

William Russell Health Insurance

William Russell

William Russell is a boutique insurance company, that values itself on its great customer service and is underwritten by Allianz. They provide health, life, and income protection insurance for expats around the world. With a global network of 40,000 hospitals and doctors, their health insurance plans are designed so that they follow you to whatever country you move to next.

Get a quote from William Russell

Moving Companies

Sirelo logo

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes now!