Posted by SheriM
Hi, My family and I will be moving to Vancouver for one year starting July 2017 as my husband has to complete a one year fellowship program at UBC hospitals. We have two children who will be 6 and 11 by then. As his salary will be very low and I don't know if I will manage to find work ( social media/digital marketing), we want to place them into a good public school for that year. Both my children are attending a public school here in London and are doing exceptionally well. I just wanted to know will it be difficult to find them places in a good public school for that year? We are thinking of looking for accommodation in the Kitsilano area so it can be within commuting distance from the two hospitals my husband will be working in. Are there any good schools with available places in this area? Would you suggest any other areas to look for? School names? Any advice would be much appreciated! :) Thanks!
Shantalie on 23 May 2016 - 07:20
Hi SheriM,

Public school in Vancouver is free for the children of expats even if you are just on a one year work visa.

Eligability will depend on which area you live in. The better public schools tend to be in the more affluent areas. Where do you plan on living?

Have a read of the Education and Scholls in Vancouver page for a good overview. 

SheriM on 23 May 2016 - 09:21
Thanks Shantalie for your advice highly appreciated. We are thinking of living in the Kitsilano area. I googled it and found a public elementary school in that area called Henry Hudson Elementary school (1551 Cypress St, Vancouver, BC V6J 3L3, Canada) Is it a good school? If I apply for my children in July 2017 will there be places available for them? ( ages 6 & 11). Thanks again.
MaryClark on 26 Jul 2016 - 15:27
Hi. In Canada school rating is something important. People buy houses closer to the school they want to go, just to be eligible. Your school placement will depend on your address. Even that all schools are good here in Canada, you can check official rating of school you are thinking to go to. Here is the link (you can find similar links online): http://britishcolumbia.compareschoolrankings.org/elementary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx
Anonymous (not verified) on 1 Sep 2016 - 10:08
Is there any fee in public schools for the minor children if their Mom or Dad are studying in Canada?