Expert Info

Posted by Floyd Schneider
on 21 May 2020

Can an expat get a visa for Austria as a retiree? Thanks.

Anonymous (not verified) on 21 May 2020 - 08:20

Hi Floyd,

Yes, it is possible to get a visa as a retiree and it is possible to retire in Austria. Where are you from? If you are not an EU or EEA national, you will have to look into the residence permits for Austria, as you would be staying there for longer than six months. Have a look at Visas for Austria for more info. You should research the settlement permit – gainful employment excepted, which allows you to settle in the country without working there. Several supporting documents would be needed as well as meeting certain criteria. Expats normally have to prove they have sufficient funds as well as health insurance. Although, for the most up-to-date information, you should contact the nearest embassy.

I hope this helps.

All the best,


Floyd Schneider on 21 May 2020 - 15:10


My family lived in Austria for 15 years, 1980-1995. I started as a married student with two small children, but we eventually received a long-term visa, and I got an Austrian driver's license. Then we left and went elsewhere. That was 25 years ago. I assume that our long-term visa is no longer valid, since we have not had a meldezettel for those 25 years.

We live in Spokane, WA, at the moment. I'm working full time as a university prof., but I'm 72, Christine is 68, & retiring is beginning to look good.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate any more input you might have.


Anonymous (not verified) on 22 May 2020 - 13:30

Hi Floyd,

Your visa has liklely expired, but when you contact the embassy it's worth explaining that you lived there before. It's great that you stayed there before, you probably have a good idea of how things are run and the culture and way of living in Austria. To my knowledge, Austria seems like a wonderful place to retire. Our guides Moving to Austria and Moving to Vienna are a useful starting point, and it's good to check out the cost of living so you can get an idea of how you may be spending your money there.

All the best.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Medical insurance specifically designed for expats. With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider.

Get a quote from Cigna Global – 10% off

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!