Expert Info

Posted by jorgebcrra
on 12 Sep 2019

Hi I'm from Mexico, married to an EU citizen. She got a job in Sweden but with a German contract.

1. Can she apply for permanent residence in Sweden? Therefore, getting benefits like maternity and health insurance?

2. Can I as the husband also apply for residence there? Should her company help during the process? 


Thanks in advance! 

Rianca on 13 Sep 2019 - 07:15


EU citizens have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a residence permit. The right of EU citizens to stay in Sweden without a residence permit is called right of residence. Your wife will have right of residence if she is employed, self-employed, a student or have sufficient means to support herself. 

While your wife can move to Sweden without applying for any permit, it may be different for you. Anyone from outside the EU, needs to apply for a residence permit. You may be granted a residence permit if you are married to someone who now lives in Sweden. The family member in Sweden must be a Swedish citizen, have a permanent residence permit, a right of permanent residence, or a permanent residence card. 

Have a look at our guide on visas for Sweden. You could also consider phoning your nearest Swedish Embassy. They will definitely have the clearest answers for you guys. What are you planning on doing once in Sweden? 

Hope this helps! Rianca

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global

GeoBlue International Health Insurance


GeoBlue is one of the best international health insurance plans for US expats abroad or internationals residing in the USA. The GeoBlue Xplorer plan includes worldwide coverage and great customer service with access to a premium international network of hospitals and doctors including the Blue Cross Blue Shield network in the USA.

Get a quote from GeoBlue

Moving Companies

Sirelo logo

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes now!