Expert Info

Posted by jbarallon21281
on 30 Jun 2018


I'm British and an ex-resident of Sweden (lived and went to school there as a child for a few years). I still have a personal number which i suppose needs to be reactivated to use. Since i left i have lived in the Seychelles, got married to a seychellois local and have two kids, both whom are british through me.

We plan to move to Sweden, to Sundsvall close to a family friend I have there. My question is simple, as I still have a personal number I suppose I am still considered a resident of Sweden and can easily come up and look for a job, open an account and find somewhere to live? I have 100k SEK savings to move with. What bugs me is if I can bring my wife (non-EU) up with me from the start or do I have to wait until I have worked for three months? Kids are fine as they are also EU.

Kyle de Villiers on 2 Jul 2018 - 09:02

Hi J,

When do you plan on moving?

If you are an EU citizen and have 'sufficient means of supporting yourself', then you already have right to residency and all that this entails, but your wife will need to apply to become a resident. 

This Expat Arrivals page on visas in Sweden might help, otherwise, the Swedish Migration Agency website isn't too bad. 

It might be best to contact an immigration specialist, as visa details can change regularly. 


Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Moving your family abroad can be intimidating, but learning about medical options such as family health insurance early on can help you settle successfully.

  • Comprehensive Family coverage, wherever you go
  • Paediatric coverage for well-child visits & immunizations
  • Access to dental and orthodontic care
  • 24/7 multilingual Customer Service

Get a quote from Cigna Global (10% off family health plans in June)

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!