Expert Info

Posted by Head Brewer
on 10 Sep 2019

Hello everybody, 

I’m Canadian and I would like to know if it’s possible to arrive in Chile as a tourist Visa (90 days) and apply directly in Chile for a work Visa ( 2 years ) or a working holiday Visa ( 1 year ) . 

I have a notarized contract in my hand from a Chilean employer. 

I mean do we absolutely need to be in our country of origin to apply for it ? 

Thank you ! 

Cheers ! 




Rianca on 10 Sep 2019 - 07:10

Hi JB,

From what I have read, it seems completely possible to apply for a work permit once already in Chile. The main difference seems to be who you submit your paperwork to. Applications and supporting documents for a work permit should be submitted to the Immigration Department of the Ministry of the Interior if applying from within Chile, or the relevant Chilean consulate if from outside the country. You can have a look at our guide on work permits for Chile to get more detail. Have you spoken to your new employer about your application?

Hope this helps! Rianca

Head Brewer on 10 Sep 2019 - 12:10

Thank you for your answer ! 

Yes I spoke several times to my next employer but he doesn’t really know how it works . 

I called the consulate here and they told me it’s impossible to get a Work Visa on the road or when I will be in Chile . According to them I have to apply when I’m in Canada and wait until I get the work visa in Canada and then I have 3 months to arrive in Chile . 

On internet , people says different things so I’m confuse . 

Cheers !



Rianca on 10 Sep 2019 - 12:24
Hi JB. If you have phoned the consulate and they say you need to do it before you will it would be best to listen to what they say. The rules for visas can change frequently and without warning which makes the consulate and embassy the safest source of information. I'm sure if you do the visa before you move it will also remove a lot of stress from your first few days in your new country. All the best with the move! Rianca

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Medical insurance specifically designed for expats. With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider.

Get a quote from Cigna Global – 10% off

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!