Expert Info

Posted by hewhoisdom
on 30 Aug 2017
Greetings! I'm just beginning my journey to Italy. I'm going to go slow about this because it's going to be a big change for me. I am a USA/Italian dual citizenship (with passports) residing in the USA. My first question regards Codice Fiscale. Is it wise to obtain this before moving to Italy? I would move there over a year from now. Thanks in advance for your advice.
EmmaL on 1 Sep 2017 - 09:16
Hi hewhoisdom

My advice is to apply as soon as possible because you're going to need it to do a lot of things once you're there. You can do it at an Italian embassy. Have a read of more tax-related things in banking, money and taxes in Italy.

Have you decided on where to stay in Italy? Will you be working?

vidalegre on 27 Sep 2018 - 22:37

You will need a codice fiscale to conduct almost any personal business in Italy, including renting a home, opening a bank account, getting a phone etc. etc.  Get one ASAP.

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Aetna International

Aetna offers award-winning international health insurance plans to more than 55 million members worldwide. Their plans are tailored to meet the individual needs of you and your family while you are away from your home country, living and working abroad. Get peace of mind knowing you and your family will be protected and have access to quality health care wherever you are, where you need it.

* For a limited time, there is a discount of up to 20% on new multi-member policies and up to 10% on single member policies. This offer is valid until 19 June 2020. See website for details.

Get a quote from Aetna International


Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global