Expert Info

Posted by nomadchad37
on 15 Sep 2016
Hello, I came to Bucharest last year and started working as a volunteer at a school. I then received a temporary residence permit to live and volunteer at this school in Romania for a year. Is it possible to extend this permit under the same volunteer effort? Also, as a last resort, my contingency plan is to leave the country in order to "reset" the time. Can I go to Bulgaria or any other neighboring country to do so? I really need to know soon. Thanks in advance.
Meagan on 16 Sep 2016 - 07:55
Hi Chad,

Is it the Symbol D visa that you're currently on? If so, this can be extended as long as it's done 30 days before its expiry date. See here for more information. The page also goes into more details of each visa subtype for D visas so that may be worth checking out.

nomadchad37 on 17 Sep 2016 - 10:17
Ok, I fear that since I am asking this question it is not. Where is this "D" on the card? I googled the location and came up with nothing.
Meagan on 19 Sep 2016 - 08:07
Hi Chad,

You can have a look at this picture. So what you'd be looking for is the part labeled "visa symbol" next to the top right hand corner of the visa photograph of you. The D visa is usually what's used for volunteers, but maybe you have the C visa? See this page for more info on that, but I think your visa should be a D.

You might want to contact your local embassy or consulate to be safe if you're still uncertain - they'll be able to give you a definitive answer.

nomadchad37 on 19 Nov 2016 - 18:17
Hi Meagan, My apologizes for taking so long to respond. I have yet one more question. I work with an online company now. I really have no need to seek employment elsewhere. Is it possible that the contract that I have with them is enough just to simply acquire the residence permit? If so, what would be the maximum amount of time allotted for such a grant? Thank you in advance, Chad
Meagan on 21 Nov 2016 - 06:45
Hey Chad,

For staying in Romania longer than 90 days, you need a temporary residence permit. Do you already have one?

It looks like you can only apply for permanent residency after living there for six years, but if you get a work permit (which you'd need anyway to work in Romania, so I assume you have one?), you can apply for a long-stay visa and a stay permit. See here and here for more info.

If the company you're working for is a Romanian company, you should be able to apply for a work permit even if they're based online. Again, to be sure, you should check with your local embassy just in case.


Expat Health Insurance Partners

Aetna International

Aetna offers award-winning international health insurance plans to more than 55 million members worldwide. Their plans are tailored to meet the individual needs of you and your family while you are away from your home country, living and working abroad. Get peace of mind knowing you and your family will be protected and have access to quality health care wherever you are, where you need it.

* For a limited time, there is a discount of up to 20% on new multi-member policies and up to 10% on single member policies. This offer is valid until 19 June 2020. See website for details.

Get a quote from Aetna International


Cigna Global

With 86 million customer relationships in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global