Just discovered that NZ has a great deal for international students like myself to go there for 3 years and get a PhD. I understand my partner will also be entitled to a visa including a work permit. I have 2 questions: 1. must the visa be reapplied for every year, as I pay for the course 2. If my wife were to fall pregnant while there, would that jeopardise our welcome? I'm from the UK, she from Vietnam (if that makes a difference).
Shantalie on 14 May 2014 - 09:22
Hi Dave,

From what I can see on the official NZ Department of Immigration website you partner's visa will be granted for the duration of your course, provided you can produce all the documents to support the visa application. If your course is three years long and you have a student visa for that period of time, hers should be granted for the same period of time.

I am afraid I can't find any concrete information regarding what would happen if you guys were to have a child over in New Zealand. You should maybe contact an immigration specialist to check this out.

For more info read the Visas for New Zealand page.

Dave Pies on 6 Aug 2014 - 10:50
Thanks Shantalie, I discovered that yes - the visa must be reapplied for each year, and that babies are welcome, and need not be avoided!! Dave

GeoBlue International Health Insurance

GeoBlue

GeoBlue is one of the best international health insurance plans for US expats abroad or internationals residing in the USA. The GeoBlue Xplorer plan includes worldwide coverage and great customer service with access to a premium international network of hospitals and doctors including the Blue Cross Blue Shield network in the USA.

Get a quote from GeoBlue