Just discovered that NZ has a great deal for international students like myself to go there for 3 years and get a PhD. I understand my partner will also be entitled to a visa including a work permit. I have 2 questions: 1. must the visa be reapplied for every year, as I pay for the course 2. If my wife were to fall pregnant while there, would that jeopardise our welcome? I'm from the UK, she from Vietnam (if that makes a difference).
Anonymous (not verified) on 14 May 2014 - 09:22
Hi Dave,

From what I can see on the official NZ Department of Immigration website you partner's visa will be granted for the duration of your course, provided you can produce all the documents to support the visa application. If your course is three years long and you have a student visa for that period of time, hers should be granted for the same period of time.

I am afraid I can't find any concrete information regarding what would happen if you guys were to have a child over in New Zealand. You should maybe contact an immigration specialist to check this out.

For more info read the Visas for New Zealand page.

Anonymous (not verified) on 6 Aug 2014 - 10:50
Thanks Shantalie, I discovered that yes - the visa must be reapplied for each year, and that babies are welcome, and need not be avoided!! Dave

“Aetna

Aetna

Aetna International, offering comprehensive global medical coverage, has a network of 1.3 million medical providers worldwide. You will have the flexibility to choose from six areas of coverage, including worldwide, multiple levels of benefits to choose from, plus various optional benefits to meet your needs.