Just discovered that NZ has a great deal for international students like myself to go there for 3 years and get a PhD. I understand my partner will also be entitled to a visa including a work permit. I have 2 questions: 1. must the visa be reapplied for every year, as I pay for the course 2. If my wife were to fall pregnant while there, would that jeopardise our welcome? I'm from the UK, she from Vietnam (if that makes a difference).
Anonymous (not verified) on 14 May 2014 - 09:22
Hi Dave,

From what I can see on the official NZ Department of Immigration website you partner's visa will be granted for the duration of your course, provided you can produce all the documents to support the visa application. If your course is three years long and you have a student visa for that period of time, hers should be granted for the same period of time.

I am afraid I can't find any concrete information regarding what would happen if you guys were to have a child over in New Zealand. You should maybe contact an immigration specialist to check this out.

For more info read the Visas for New Zealand page.

Anonymous (not verified) on 6 Aug 2014 - 10:50
Thanks Shantalie, I discovered that yes - the visa must be reapplied for each year, and that babies are welcome, and need not be avoided!! Dave

Cigna Health Insurance -

Cigna Global can tailor an international health insurance plan to perfectly fit the needs of you and your family. With 86 million customers in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world. Cigna are offering a 10% discount on all policies bought in November and December.